Saturday, June 03, 2006

Westlake ave parking



So, I was waiting for my bus outside my restaurant last week, and noticed flyers on the windshields in the parking lot. Apparently, Seattle's DOT (my new worst enemy) are planning to put parking meters outside our restaurant which, in turn, could cost me and my fellow employees mucho dinero. Now, maybe it's just the fact that I am getting a car at the end of the month, or maybe because I already see my friends getting tickets 2-3 times a month (the way it is already), but something about this rubbed me the wrong way.

Now, I'm not really the activist type. I figured, however, "not doing much else", so I went to work printing out petitions, building visual aids, and organizing a protest rally to arrive at the DOT's open house on the parking issue. When I started, the online petition from WANA (Westlake Avenue North Association) was a mere 80 signatures. I then printed out petitions and took them into my work, and in a few hours had collected about 45 signatures. I still have until Tuesday, June 6th to get more though, so I set myself to work tonight building a monster of a visual aid to hang on the employee bulletin board. While I was crunching the numbers, I realized this new plan could cost our employees up to $1600.00 a year!!!!! Even on the low end, it will still be $144.00 a year, which is nearly 4 times the amount of the "RPZ" permits that will be sold to the boat and business owners, but not availible for employees. GRRRRRR!!!!!

Guess I gotta wait until Tuesday to know how this is gonna turn out.

No comments: